Tourism in The RhonddaValleys
With the closure of much of the heavy industry in the South Wales Valleys, in recent years, we have seen an upturn in the number of visitors to our new greener land.
Tourists arrive here not from just other parts of the UK, put also from overseas, and in the summer, it is now quite normal to her many different languages being spoken in our town centre streets.
Given our location in the heart of the South Wales valleys, it is not really surprising as The Rhondda valleys are the perfect base for exploring all of the South and Mid Wales areas.
Situated between The Brecon Beacons National Park, Swansea City, The Gower Coast and our capital city of Cardiff, all of these beautiful tourist spots are less than an hours drive away.
Much of the following information is intended for tourists from overseas and although it could be obvious to to residents of the UK, may be invaluable to others.
Generally most of the shops in the area are open Monday-Saturday, 9.00am - 5.00pm. On Thursdays some close at 1.00pm, . Many shops in The Rhondda Valleys are also open on Sundays, typically 10.00am - 4.00pm or - 5.00pm.
The currency used in all of The UK is Pounds Sterling. The currency is available in the denominations below.
£1=100 pence.
Notes in £5, £10, £20, and £50. Coins in 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2

Changing cash and travelers cheques should not present any problems, as there are many banks and travel agencies within the area, most of which have a bureau de change.
For more information
Click on either logo.
Post Offices
There are many Post Offices in the area.
The two? main offices are at ????street and ???? Street
Others can be found in most other villages.
In addition to postal services, they offer a hugh range of other services, including exchanging currency,
In an emergency you should dial 999
You will then be answered by the operator who will ask which service you require:-
Police, Ambulance or
The Fire Service.

Explain the nature of the emergency and the operator will then connect you.
If you are at the coast and are reporting an incident at sea, you may ask for the Coastguard.
Please speak clearly and slowly, giving your name, location and an explanation of the emergency that you are reporting.

You may use any telephone to report an emergency and there is no charge when reporting one by any landline.
Tap Water.
Unlike some countries, the tap water in the UK is perfectly
safe to drink

Public Houses
There are many public houses in the area, many of which serve food.
Their normal opening hours are
11.00am - 11.00pm, which means drinks must be finished by 11.20pm. However, with new laws, some will now stay open later. Check with the landlord about closing times.
Many pubs close in the afternoons, whist some open only at the weekends.
The town centres can get a little lively on weekend evenings.

If you intend to drive in the UK, please remember to keep to the left.
It is all too simple to forget for a moment.
Also famillierise yourself with the highway code, and keep to the rules. Always obey the speed limits as there are many speed cameras located around the area. Also be aware of the drink drive law, it is strictly enforced by the police in the UK.
If you have any doubts, you can always catch a bus or hire a taxi
Rhondda Valley Taxis
Non Emergency calls to the local police stations can b made on 01685 872456??????
There will be a charge for these calls.
Britain's voltage is 240V AC which could damage lower voltage appliances. In addition, plugs have three square pins which most foreign electrical goods will not be compatible with. So you will probably need a transformer or an adapter. These are widely available (probably best bought at airports) so if you forget one it should not be a problem.
And remember to also be careful if buying electrical goods in the UK - it might not be compatible back home so check first.
Also take care when buying pre-recorded DVDs in the UK. Britain uses Region 2 players and as such any DVD bought here may not be compatible with your DVD player at home, unless it is a multi-region one. So to avoid wasting your money, check that any DVDs you buy will be compatible back home
There are public phones throughout the towns and villages. Some take coins (10p, 20p and 50p) and some take phone cards (£1, £2 or £5; buy them from newsagents). However, many will accept both coins and cards.
A local call will cost between 10p - 20p. A call within the UK (to book a hotel room say) will cost 20p - 50p. Calls are cheaper after 6pm.

Lots more information about The Rhondda Valleys
can be found on other pages of this site.
Please browse through at your leisure.
Some useful tourism links:-

Return to Rhondda Valleys front page